The UPSC Section Officers/ Stenographers is an abbreviation for UPSC SO. To hire graduate candidates as departmental officers and crypto professionals, the UPSC Stenographer/ SO Exam is held.
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) administers a national exam for UPSC SO Steno Grade B/Grade 1. The UPSC Section Officers/ Stenographers Grade Exam is held in order to recruit candidates for the positions of Section Officer (SO) and Stenographers Grade B/Grade 1. The exam for Section Officers (SO) and Stenographers is administered annually by the Union Public Service Commission. The UPSC SO Steno selection procedure includes two essential elements: the written exam and the evaluation of the candidates’ performance. Candidates who receive the necessary minimum marks are the only ones invited for review. The UPSC SO / Steno 2023 position is a Central Government Class B appointment. The UPSC Stenographer Exam will have both objective and subjective question categories.
- UPSC SO/Steno Registration will start from 13 September to 4 October 2023. The exam will be conducted on 10 December 2023
|UPSC Stenographer 2023- Exam Summary|
|Full Form of the Exam||UPSC Section Officers/Stenographers 2023|
|Organization||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Post Name||Section Officers or Stenographers|
|Vacancy||To be announced|
|Exam Date||Tentatively 10th December 2023|
|Exam Frequency||Annually conducted|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Exam Mode||English and Hindi|
|Exam Mode||Offline(Pen and Paper mode)|
|Recruitment Process||Based on Written Exams & Skills|
|Age Limit||No Age Limit|
|Official website- mention the official website of the exam||https://www.upsc.gov.in/|
UPSC Stenographer Important Dates
The official announcement for the 2023 UPSC SO/Steno Recruitment has not yet been made. Soon after the official notice, the crucial dates for UPSC SO/Steno 2023 are going to be released. Following the publication of the notification, one may consult the official announcement for the important dates. The following dates are approximate for the UPSC SO/Steno Recruitment 2023:
|Important events||Tentative Date|
|UPSC Stenographer Notification 2023||13th September 2023|
|Registration Start||13th September 2023|
|Registration Ends||04th October 2023|
|UPSC Stenographer Admit Card release||Three weeks before the exam|
|UPSC Stenographer Exam Date||10th December 2023|
|UPSC Stenographer Result||To be Announced|
|UPSC Stenographer Score Card||To be Announced|
UPSC Stenographer Vacancies
The Union Public Service Commission claims that several openings need to be filled. However, the estimate has not yet been made public. The vacancies will be made available with the official notification soon.
UPSC Stenographer Eligibility
Before applying for the test, applicants are recommended to review the UPSC SO Steno Eligibility Criteria. There are nine categories in the UPSC SO Steno, which are listed below:
- Category 1: Section Officers Grade of the Central Secretariat Service.
- Category 2: Section Officers Grade (Integrated Grade II & III) of the General Cadre of the Indian Foreign Service, Branch ‘B’
- Category 3: Section Officers Grade of the Railway Board Secretariat Service
- Category 4: Private Secretary Grade of the Central Secretariat Stenographers Service.
- Category 5: Grade I of the Stenographers’ Cadre of the Indian Foreign Service, Branch B
- Category 6: Grades ‘A’ & ‘B’ merged of the Armed Forces Headquarters Stenographers Service
- Category 7: Grade ‘B’ of the Railway Board Secretariat Stenographers Service.
- Category 8: Section Officers Grade of the Intelligence Bureau.
- Category 9: Private Secretary Grade in Employees’ State Insurance Corporation.
There is no age limit for UPSC Stenographer 2023 examination as of now. If there are any it will be officially announced on UPSC official site.
The following provides a summary of the UPSC SO Steno criteria for eligibility for the various services and categories
UPSC Stenographer Application Process
Candidates have the option of applying online for the UPSC SO Steno Exam. Application for the UPSC SO Steno position is done online. On the UPSC’s official website, applicants must complete the application forms. The candidate must take a printed copy of the application after completing it and sending it by the deadline and mail it to the Commission’s administration.
The application fees for various categories are mentioned below:
An online application is completed and submitted in 6 steps. The UPSC SO/STENO 2023 application procedure is outlined below in detail.
Step 1: Registration
- Visit the UPSC website first, then click the button to register for UPSC SO/STENO 2023.
- After clicking the link, fill out all the fields with your information, including your name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Submit your registration form after providing the necessary information.
Step 2: Login ID
- All candidates who successfully register will receive a second login and password through their registered phone number or ID.
Step 3: completing the application
- Now enter your username and password to log in.
- Applicants must choose the correct position type for which they would apply after logging in.
- Include all the pertinent information requested in the application, including your name, phone number, email address, parental information, level of education, permanent residence, and category.
Step 4: Document uploading
- The candidate has to upload all supporting papers in the required format after applying.
- A list of the documents needed to apply, some of which are available for download.
- a passport-sized picture
- Category Certificate
- Degree or grade report from the qualifying test.
Step 5: Fee Payment
- Applicants must pay the necessary fee for registration for each category after completing the application.
- Both online and offline payment methods are accepted for the subscription price.
- The UPSC Steno / SO 2023 application fee is Rs 100 per applicant.
Step 6: Application Submission
- The applicant must submit the application form, print two copies, and deliver them along with the payment receipt after completing the form and paying the price. A duplicate should be stored safely for future use.
- The Chief of Division (HoD) / Head of the Commission Office must be given a second paper copy of the application and payment receipt.
- It is sent to the Union Public Service Commission’s Undersecretary (E-VI), Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi, 110069.
UPSC Stenographer Result and Cutoffs
The UPSC SO / Steno results/scorecards for the exam will be available for download by the applicant after clearing the examination. The selection procedure will determine the ultimate hiring outcomes, which will be disclosed. A merit list will be released by UPSC based on the total number of qualifications granted for each position.
- A candidate’s ranking will be indicated on his score/results card.
- The results/scorecard will allow applicants to compare their scores and total score.
- A list of accomplishments broken down by application type will also be made public by the Civil Service Union Commission.
UPSC Stenographer Cutoffs
The UPSC SO Steno cut-off marks from the previous year are now accessible on the commission’s official website. The paper-by-paper cut-off marks for the UPSC SO Steno test pattern are shown here for applicants who wish to advance to the various rounds.
The table below displays the minimum cutoff scores for each category for the most recent UPSC SO / Steno test. This table should be used by applicants to gain a sense of the anticipated cutoffs.
UPSC Stenographer Selection Procedure
- The offline written test and the service assessment process will serve as the main procedure for the UPSC SO Steno selection process.
- Those candidates who met the requirements in the written test will be contacted by the recruitment body, or UPSC, for the next round of review.
- Candidates are only invited for evaluation if they achieve the required minimum marks.
- After the candidates’ service periods have been evaluated, the eligibility requirements are checked.
- The shortlisted applicants will receive an employment offer letter from UPSC following the conclusion of the evaluation process.
Every year, Section Officer and Stenographer examinations are held by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). It is reasonable to assume that many candidates will try this test, thus it is advisable to thoroughly familiarise yourself with the exam format and content and to devote yourself to your preparations
Q. What are the eligibility criteria for the exam?
A. There are certain eligibility criteria that the candidate has to me to get qualified for the post:
- Category 1- Grade of the Central Secretariat Service : Applicants must have 5- years of work experience and have at least four performance appraisals at the Central Secretariat Service Personal Assistants ’Grade of Central Secretariat Stenographers Service.
- Category 2-Grade (Integrated Grade Second and Third) of the General Cadre of the Indian Foreign Service, Branch ‘B’ : Aspirants must have 5- years of work experience of Grade 4th general cadre or Grade second of Cypher sub-cadre, branch B of IFS, or all the mention criteria.
- Category 3-Grade of the Railway Board Secretariat Service : Applicants with 5- years of work experience in the assistant grade of Railways Board Secretariat Service or Grade second or Grade C of Railways Board Secretariat.
- Category 4-Private Secretary, Central Secretariat Stenographers Service: Aspirants must have a maximum of 3- years of work experience in the Central Secretariat Grade Stenographer Service. To apply for this category, students should possess a bachelor’s degree.
- Category 5-Grade first of the Stenographers Cadre of the Indian Foreign Service, Branch B: Aspirants must have 5 years of continuous work practice and experience in Grade second of Steno Cadre of IFS, branch B is applicable.
- Category 6-Grade A and B merged of the Armed Forces Headquarters Stenographers Service: Applicants must have 3 years per day work experience in Armed Forces Headquarters Service in Grade second / Grade C
- Category 7-Railway Board Secretariat Stenographers Service Grade B: –
- Aspirants must have 3 years of per day and approved work experience in Grade second/Grade C of Railway Board Steno jobs
- Category 8-Grade of the Intelligence Bureau – If students are selected through LDCE, the exam must not hold 5 years before the crucial date.
- Category 9-Private Secretary, State Insurance Corporation – Aspirants must have 3 years of approved and per day work practice in Personal Assistant Grade in employees State Insurance Corporation.
Q. What is the syllabus of the UPSC Steno exam?
A. After the admit card is downloaded, the candidate must know the exam syllabus to prepare for the exam in a better way. Following are the syllabus for the UPSC Steno/SO:
- The principles of the Constitution of India
Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha
- The organization of the machinery of the Govt. of India, Designation and allocation of subjects between Ministries, Departments and Attached & Subordinate Offices and their relation intersection.
- RTI Act, 2005.
Few topics are mentioned here for each category of Paper-II.
(For Category I, IV, and VIII & IX)
- Manual of office procedure (latest edition)
- Notes on office procedure issued by the Institute of Secretarial Training and Management.
- Handbook of orders regarding the use of Hindi for the official purpose of the Union issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs. (for Category I & IV only)
- Fundamental and Supplementary Rules (A.G.P. &T’s compilation, Chaudhury’s compilation, Swamy’s compilation). and more
(For Category II & V)
- Manual of office procedure (latest edition).
- Notes on office procedure issued by the I.S.T.M.
- Handbook of orders regarding the use of Hindi for the official purpose of the Union issued by the Min. of Home Affairs.
- The Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules.
- The Central Civil Services (Classification, Control, and Appeal) Rules. and more
(For Category III & VII)
- Indian Railway Establishment Code Vol. I.
- Manual of Office Procedure issued by the Min. of Railways (Railway Board).
- The Railway Services (Conduct) Rules, 1966.
- The Railway Servants (Discipline and Appeal) Rule, 1968
(For Category VI)
- Manual of office procedure (latest edition).
- The Central Civil Services (Conduct) Rules.
- The Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules.
- Financial Regulations Part I (Revised Edition).
- Central Civil Service (Leave) Rules
In the third paper, candidates are required to prepare notes and drafts on specific problems and precise from the given passage.
Q. What are the guidelines for the UPSC Steno/SO exam?
A. Candidates meeting the eligibility requirements will have to apply online through the official website of UPSC at upsc.gov.in.
- Submit the online application before the last date as per the notification. They should apply at 11.59 pm on the last date to apply. After this date, the link for applying online will be disabled.
- Candidates are recommended to make sure that they fill up the columns in the online application form correctly. They cannot change the entries after submission through any channel.
- While visiting the website of UPSC, they will find a link called “Apply online” on the right side of the website. clicking on this link, they will find the link to various positions for which the online application gateway is open.
- Candidates will have to click on the appropriate link for the SO/Steno position. When they click on this link, they will get to a page containing the list of instructions to fill up the online application. Here, they will have the option to print the instructions or they can click on the next option.
- Before they click on the proceed button, candidates will be prompted to click on the declaration that ensures that they have completely read the instructions.